Saturday, May 17, 2014

Sell What You Have

I used to just clean out my closet and donate stuff to a charity and/or a thrift shop. Now, unless something is really worn out or I'm pretty sure it won't sell, I go ahead and photograph it to list on eBay.

As an example, I had this t-shirt for years because I liked the design a lot, but it was always a bit too long for me, so I only ever wore it a couple times. Finally, I went ahead and sold it for $11.50. Not a huge amount of money, but I don't sneer at $10 here and there! And honestly, I make my way on eBay with a series of small sales; it's rare that I have one item that is a big earner for me.

When I read advice to new eBay sellers, one of the most common pieces of advice I see is to start out by selling some stuff you have around at home and no longer need/want. I think it's great advice. You have nothing to lose as long as you make sure that your starting price/shipping price covers what it will cost you to mail the item.

A lot of people seem to shy away from selling clothing, but I think as long as you have clear photos and detailed descriptions and measurements in your listings, clothing can be a good thing to start out with selling. If your kids are outgrowing their clothes, what about selling some children's clothing? Kids' clothes can sell well, especially in lots as a lot of buyers want to stock up on a particular size. Toys are another good seller.

If you have DVD sets, they can sell well, too; people love to buy full seasons of their favorite TV shows. Household items can also do well: I know that Suzanne has sold a number of picture frames, and I have sold a number of small display easels. There are people who collect Corelle dishes and all sorts of things that you might never think twice about giving away. You just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment